Integrative Functional Medicine Consultations for all ages and stages of life.
Our society is experiencing a sharp increase in the number of people who suffer from complex, chronic diseases such as diabetes, heart disease, cancer, mental illness, and autoimmune disorders. The current system of medicine is mechanistic and outdated, some say it is failing us. On average, eight minutes of time is spent with patients. Doctors rely mainly on drugs or surgery to treat symptoms. In most cases modern medicine does not take into account factors which contribute to the rise in complex chronic diseases in modern Western society such as;
- the unique genetic makeup and biochemical individuality of each person,
- environmental exposures to toxins,
- lifestyle choices and food,
- the interrelationship of our body’s systems
- the interaction of our body, mind, spirit and environment
We care about you as a whole person. Our focus is on enhancing your health span, not just your life span. By exploring the complex web of interactions, together we uncover the root of imbalance. We address the underlying causes of illness, using a systems-oriented approach and engaging both patient and practitioner in a therapeutic partnership.
Our Approach – At Family to Family,
- We shift the traditional disease-centered focus of medical practice to a more patient-centered approach, addressing problems as close to their root cause as possible, not merely treating symptoms and managing diseases.
- We spend time with our patients, listening to their stories and looking at the interactions among genetic, physiological, environmental, and lifestyle factors that can influence long-term health and complex, chronic disease.
- We integrate the latest emerging research with best medical practices of conventional western medical with what is sometimes considered “alternative” or “integrative” medicine, creating a focus on wellness.
- We thoughtfully recommend botanical medicines, pharmaceutical drugs, supplements, movement, food, detoxification programs, therapeutic bodywork, energy healing and various stress-management approaches to help ignite the healing process.
- We bring the patient into the discovery process and tailor treatment to address the individual’s unique needs for better health and vitality.
- We value building authentic relationships with our patients that are grounded in deep listening, respect, honesty, options and education.
PODCASTS WITH DR. HANAWAY TO LEARN MORE ABOUT BOTH OF OUR APPROACHES
Use Difficult Challenges as an Opportunity – Podcast with 5 Journeys. July 2022
Personalized path of healing – interview with Dr. Yael Joffe 3 x 4 Genetics. May 2022
Wellness Journey Podcast – Patrick covers the spectrum of functional medicine, cancer, shamanism, gut health in a deeply personal podcast. January 2022
Mapping Navigating Chemo – 20 minutes interview with Functional Nutrition Alliance.
Interview with Mark Hyman, MD at Cleveland Clinic – Clinical Translation and Transformation – a Functional Medicine Approach to Cancer. October 2020
Podcast with Dr. Kara Fitzgerald who interviews Dr. Hanaway about his personal and transformational journey with Stage IV Laryngeal Cancer and functional medicine approaches. December 2020.
PLMI – Personalized Lifestyle Medicine Institute – Creating Co-Immunity. Jeffery Bland interviews the husband-wife team – Drs Hanaway and Lichtig and the journey through cancer. October 2020
Read a wonderful interview with Dr. Hanaway where we learn more about what influenced his perspective on health and healing published in Alternative and Complementary Therapies – Hanaway interview, ACT, 10-20
Seeing the Light at the End of the Tunnel – 5 Reasons to be hopeful during this Corona Crisis. Article in Medium. June 2020
Hear Dr. Hanaway speak about integrative functional medicine in a candid radio interview with NY Times best selling author of the Hormone Cure, Dr. Sara Gottfried. In this interview he shares the relationship between our connection with nature, with food, with our gut microbiome, and with our health. Indeed it is all connected!
Hear a wonderful teaching on Functional Medicine – Seeing The Whole Person from Dr. Hanaway on the functional forum.